Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Primary School recognises its responsibility for Safeguarding and Promoting Welfare of Children. The school’s policy applies to the whole school community including volunteers, governors and any contractors working on the school site. We focus on 5 main elements:
- Staff recruitment and selection- ensuring that all staff (volunteers etc), have been appropriately checked for their suitability through the Safer Recruitment procedures. The Headteacher and the Chair of Governors have completed Safer Recruitment Training and our School has a designated Safeguarding Governor.
- Raising awareness of the safeguarding issues and equipping the children with the skills needed to keep them safe.
- Developing and implementing procedures for identifying and reporting cases, or suspected cases of abuse.
- Supporting children who have been abused in accordance with an agreed child centre plan.
- Establishing a safe and nurturing environment free from discrimination or bullying where children can learn and develop happily.
We recognise that because of their day-to-day contact with children, school staff are ideally placed to observe the outward signs of abuse. Staff in school will therefore:
- Report any inappropriate behaviour / activities to designated staff (Mrs Walker/ Mrs Williams).
- Establish and maintain an environment where children feel secure, are encouraged to talk and are listened to.
- Ensure that children know that they can approach any adult in school if they are worried and will receive a consistent supportive response.
- Include opportunities in the SEAL curriculum for children to develop the skills they need to recognise and stay safe from abuse.
- Receive necessary training which will be updated in line with guidance.
Teaching Online Safety in the Primary Classroom
Following our Cyber Safety Parents' Evening by Simon Collins the following information has been prepared.
Parent Fact Sheet
Child Protection and Safeguarding Policy
Whistle Blowing Policy