Reading for Pleasure
We love reading at Our Lady of Lourdes! Our aims are to:
- enable our pupils to read confidently, fluently, accurately and with understanding.
- teach children to employ a full range of reading cues - phonic, graphic, syntactic, contextual - to monitor, correct and make sense of their own reading.
- foster an interest in words and their meanings and to gain an appreciation of books from a variety of genres.
- enable the children to find books interesting, to read with enjoyment and to evaluate and justify their preferences.
- develop reading skills in tandem with those of writing, so that they may function in society, as literate adults and readers for life.
- create reading opportunities across all areas of the curriculum, to make it more meaningful and relevant to the children.
Have a look around our dedicated 'reading for pleasure' part of our website. For more information about how we teach reading and in what order, please see our curriculum pages - Guided by the Light.
You can find more information about how parents can help children from reception to year 6 read at home on the Oxford Owl website: https://home.oxfordowl.co.uk/
More information about reading with your child: https://www.booktrust.org.uk/books-and-reading/tips-and-advice/reading-tips/
DfE guidance on reading with your child: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/10-top-tips-to-encourage-children-to-read/10-top-tips-to-encourage-children-to-read