Skip to content ↓

Special Educational Needs (SEN)

SENCO: Mrs L Kilby-Salt

The Local Offer

The Local Offer is a whole selection of information made available by Oxfordshire County Council about all elements of provision for children with special educational needs and disabilities. 

This encompasses education, health, social care and leisure opportunities and gives links to a wide range of organisations and providers.

Please click here to go to the Oxfordshire County Council information.

SEN information

I am in the process of updating our information on Special Educational Needs at Our Lady of Lourdes.

Please check back for further information.

For the most part, children with SEN are taught within their usual class group with work differentiated and support offered within lessons.

We do run some additional interventions to support particular needs - for example Fresh Start offers additional literacy support to targeted pupils in year 5. Children within years 3 and 4 who need additional literacy support are accessing an Intervention called AcceleRead AcceleWrite. Children in year two who are not fully confident in their use of phonics continue to access Read Write Inc phonics. All children in year one and foundation stage use this programme.

Within maths we teach using mastery approach, where the whole class is taught together. Work is differentiated for children and additional support is offered by both the class teacher and a teaching assistant.Some children will be offered Precision Teaching activities which are designed to offer very focused support on particular skills such as number bonds, times tables facts etc.

We run nurture groups for some children during the week to allow them to engage in structured social activities guided by an experienced adult. Mrs Hawkins, our home school link worker is also able to offer some targeted support for a small number of pupils.

We access regular training from the Oxfordshire Special Needs Inclusion Team. A range of professionals are invited into school to assess and offer advice to staff. These include an Educational Psychologist, a communication and interaction specialist teacher and a speech and language therapist.