At Our Lady of Lourdes, our intention for Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND) is to ensure that all children receive a high-quality and ambitious education regardless of need or disability. We believe that it is vital that our pupils are equipped with the tools needed to become independent, inquisitive learners both in and out of the classroom.
Through our high quality planning, teaching and provision we:
- Ensure early identification and intervention for SEND to ensure that progress and opportunities are maximised.
- Make sure that all children have access to a broad and balanced curriculum which is differentiated to enable children to understand the relevance and purpose of learning.
- Provide an accessible learning environment which is tailored to the individual needs of all pupils.
- Develop children’s independence and life skills.
- Use the ‘Assess, Plan, Do, Review’ cycle to regularly monitor the progress of children with SEND, using a child-centred approach.
- Provide good quality and relevant training for all staff members supporting children with SEND.
- Work in partnership with parents and carers.
Work closely with external agencies and other professionals to hone and develop our provision for children with SEND.
At Our Lady of Lourdes, every teacher is a teacher of SEND. As such, inclusion is a thread that runs through every area of the school enhanced by collaboration between senior leaders, teachers, support staff, external agencies, parents and most importantly, the child.
At Our Lady of Lourdes, pupils with SEND will:
- Be included in all aspects of the school day.
- Be provided with quality first teaching, differentiated to their needs.
- Be respected and their contributions valued and acknowledged.
At Our Lady of Lourdes, pupils with SEND may:
- Have specific 1:1 or small group intervention to support their Phonics, Maths or Literacy learning.
- Take part in social and emotional support interventions such as Rainbows.
- Have additional support from our Home School Link worker.
- Work alongside external agencies such as an Educational Psychologist, Speech and Language Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Communication and Interaction Team to develop specific targets/programmes tailored to the child’s individual needs.
As a result:
- Children at Our Lady of Lourdes feel happy, safe and respected.
- Behaviour at Our Lady of Lourdes is exemplary and diversity is celebrated.
- Children demonstrate high levels of engagement in activities, developing their speaking, listening and social skills.
- Children with SEND make good progress at Our Lady of Lourdes from their starting points due to the use of resources and small group intervention which meets the needs of the pupils.
- On leaving Our Lady of Lourdes, children with SEND have developed good independence and life skills.